Harrowells Banner Image

Our Resolve. Your Resolution.

View all services for Family law

Change of name

How can I change my name?

If you are aged 16 or over, the process of changing your name is easier than you think. It is done by using a change a of name deed, which can be prepared by solicitors. Once the deed has been signed by you and witnessed, your solicitor can then provide you with certified copies to update all necessary organisations (i.e DVLA, your bank, etc…).

Here at Harrowells, after a free initial discussion by telephone, we offer a one-off appointment for a fixed fee of £165.00 plus vat. This fee will include the appointment itself, preparing the deed and the execution of the deed.

What if I am under the age of 16?

In order to change the name of anyone under the age of 16, parental consent needs to be given by all parties with parental responsibility (usually both parents).

If both parents do agree to the change of name, as with the above, a deed can be used, which will include confirmation of parental consent. Again, Harrowells can offer this service through a one-off appointment at a fixed fee of £165.00 plus vat.

If one parent does not agree to the change of name, or if a parent has been absent from the child’s life, the option is to apply to court for a specific issue order, allowing the change of name to take place. When an application is made to court, it will have to be shown that the change of name is in the best interests of the child. This process can be costly and we would advise seeking legal advice before any steps are taken. If you find yourself in this situation and need legal advice, Harrowells offer a free 30 minute consultation for all qualifying clients, following which will then provide a further fee estimate.