Ebenezer Scrooge shuffled along Parliament Street and passed the Christmas market. The first flakes of snow were fluttering down from the darkening York sky. It was Christmas Eve. The festive lights were twinkling from the fronts of the wooden stalls....
Herbert Harrowell set up his original practice in 1908 – the same year that Henry Ford’s first model T automobile was produced. In 1926 Mr Harrowell was joined by Norris M Brown and over the next four decades the partnership steadily expanded with Kenneth Bloor, Raymond Fox, Dick Stanley and John Yeomans successively becoming partners.
Following the firm’s move from Parliament Street to the St Saviourgate office in 1974, the expansion of the practice began in earnest. Over the ensuing thirty years, Harrowells broadened its expertise beyond its property and private client focus to include advice on commercial law and different aspects of litigation.
The merger, in 1985, of Harrowells with Shaftoes (itself founded in the 1860s) and the more recent merger, in 2005, with Ashworth Tetlow were important steps towards the creation of what is now a major regional practice. 2008 saw the renaming of the firm, for the second time in its long history, as Harrowells.
Hileys and Powell & Young
Hileys of Thirsk and Easingwold and Powell & Young of Pocklington, are two highly regarded practices with strong local followings that have merged with Harrowells, in 2011 and 2013 respectively, with the result that the combined practice now has an enhanced presence and coverage across North and East Yorkshire.
The firm opened a new office in Malton in 2021 to better serve the growing number of farming, commercial and private clients in Malton and the wider Ryedale area.