It is a well-known ‘fact’ that farmers never retire; there is always far too much to do to have that luxury. Many farmers we deal with are keen to pass the farm and business on to whichever member of the family is most willing, whilst keeping...
Unfortunately disputes are part of everyday life. We offer expert, timely and practical advice to help you successfully resolve issues you might face.
Wide ranging expertise and determination
We are experienced in dealing with a wide variety of disputes, including:
- Wills, inheritance, family and trust disputes
- Claims against surveyors, solicitors, accountants and other professionals
- Disputes with builders and contractors
- Landlord and tenant disputes, including possession and rent arrears
- Cohabitee disputes over property (Trusts of Land Act)
- Land and property disputes, including disputes over access/rights of way
- Neighbour and boundary disputes including Party Wall Act matters
- Farming disputes
- Partnership and company disputes
- Intellectual Property issues (trade marks, copyright, patents, passing off, image & design rights)
- Protecting business or personal reputations (defamation)
- Nuisance or harassment cases
- Racehorse and other animal law matters
- Insolvency matters such as pursuing or defending statutory demands or bankruptcy
The cost of disputes can be off putting so we offer a range of potential funding solutions, including in appropriate cases:
- Results based agreements (contingency/damages based agreements)
- Hourly charge rates
- Fixed fees
- After the event (ATE) insurance
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Although many disputes do still proceed to court, we recognise that clients’ interests are often served in seeking to resolve disputes in other ways outside of the court process. This can resolve dispute much more quickly and at significant reduced cost. Mediation is a recognised alternative to litigation. To find out more about the various options available, go to Courts & Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Our dispute resolution solicitors can arrange meetings at any of our local offices in York and across Yorkshire, so simply contact your nearest Harrowells office in York, St Saviourgate, Clifton Moor, Easingwold, Haxby, Pocklington, Malton, and Thirsk.