Inheritance Tax (IHT) is primarily a charge on your assets on death, including your share of assets jointly held with another person. However, lifetime gifts made within seven years prior to your death can also be brought back into charge. IHT is also...
York, St Saviourgate
All our offices are open for meetings in person, by video or telephone as best suits your circumstances.
Our St Saviourgate office is located close to York’s main shopping thoroughfare, Parliament Street, and, as such, is within convenient walking distance of a number of car parks and many bus routes.
The general email address for all our offices, including St Saviourgate, is email@example.com. You can contact individual members of staff by email within the ‘Our people’ section. Please note that if you have an issue requiring urgent attention, it is always best to call us to establish whether we can help you within any deadline.
|York city centre office|
1 St Saviourgate
Tel: 01904 558600
Fax: 01904 655855
DX: 61506 York
Office hours: Mon – Fri 9am – 5.30pm
Visiting our St Saviourgate solicitors
First Group York bus routes 6, 11, 12, 13, 13a & X64, ‘Silver Line’ Park & Ride route 9 to Monks Cross and ‘Coastliner’ services travelling along the A64 ‘corridor’ between Leeds and Scarborough stop in nearby Stonebow.
First Group York bus routes 10, 24 and ‘Yellow Line’ Park & Ride route 8 to Grimston Bar stop in nearby Piccadilly.
If you are travelling to us by train, note that it takes around 10 minutes to walk from York station to St Saviourgate. There is a taxi rank at the station and one outside the St Saviourgate office for return journeys.
The nearest car parks are:
- QParks Shambles car park, accessed from Stonebow and Garden Place
- Piccadilly car park, accessed from Piccadilly
If you are not familiar with York, be aware that a number of city centre streets are pedestrianised or have access restrictions.
Office accessibility and facilities
St Saviourgate is a 200 year old grade 2 listed building and does not have level entrance or toilet access. However, our Clifton Moor office offers onsite parking, level entrance and toilet access and can be used as an alternative venue.
Legal services offered by our solicitors in St Saviourgate
Personal legal advice
Our family lawyers in St Saviourgate can assist with matters including:
- Divorce and civil partnership dissolution
- Divorce finances
- Arrangements for children
- Farming divorce
- Pre-nuptial agreements
- Cohabitation/living together agreements
- Change of name
- Domestic abuse
With accreditation from the Law Society Conveyancing Quality Scheme, we can offer safe, reliable conveyancing for property across Yorkshire.
Our residential conveyancing solicitors in St Saviourgate can assist with matters including:
- Buying or selling property (both freehold and leasehold)
- New build conveyancing (including Government Help to Buy and Shared Ownership schemes)
- Transfer of equity
- Any other residential conveyancing matter
To see how much your conveyancing might cost, please use our conveyancing quote calculator.
Our experienced employment lawyers can advise on employment rights and the steps employees can take to resolve employment disputes, including with voluntary settlements and employment tribunal claims.
Our employment law solicitors in St Saviourgate can assist with matters including:
- Contract review
- Settlement Agreements
- Disciplinary and grievances
- Discrimination claims
- Unfair and wrongful dismissal
- Professional misconduct and fitness to practice allegations
Whether you wish to plan for the potential that you may lose the capacity to make decisions in the future or need help supporting someone who has already lost this capacity, our team are here for you.
Our solicitors in St Saviourgate can assist with matters including:
- Creating a Power of Attorney
- Applying to the Court of Protection
- Wills for people who lack capacity
- Personal Injury Trusts
Sensitivity is at the heart of our service in this area. Several of our team are members of Solicitors for the Elderly, demonstrating our experience in supporting older and vulnerable clients.
Planning for the future of your estate and dealing with the estate of someone who has passed away are both serious responsibilities, for which it pays to get expert legal advice.
Our Wills, trusts and probate solicitors in St Saviourgate can assist with matters including:
- Wills & property
- Wills & relationship breakdown
- Wills & remarriage
- Wills & disabled dependants
- Trusts, tax & succession planning
- Wills & inheritance disputes
Our team includes members of STEP (Society of Trusts and Estate Practitioners).
If you have been injured through no fault of your own, you may be entitled to compensation to help deal with the consequences for your health, wellbeing and finances.
Our personal injury lawyers in St Saviourgate can assist with matters including:
- Brain & spinal injury claims
- Assault & abuse claims
- Fatal accident claims
- Other accident & injury claims – including road traffic accidents, accidents at work, accidents in public places, and accidents involving children
- Clinical negligence claims
- Claims for the elderly
- Professional negligence claims – including claims against other personal injury solicitors and medical professionals
If your health has suffered as a result of negligent medical treatment, claiming compensation is often the only way to mitigate the damage to your health, lifestyle and financial circumstances.
Our medical negligence solicitors in St Saviourgate can assist with matters including:
- Birth injury claims for child and mother
- NHS hospital treatment claims
- GP treatment claims
- Community care claims
- Dental treatment claims
- Private medical care claims
Our expertise in this complex area has been recognised by Law Society Clinical Negligence Accreditation Scheme.
Personal disputes can be costly, time consuming and stressful to deal with, so getting expert legal advice as soon as possible is strongly recommended.
Our civil litigation solicitors in St Saviourgate can assist with matters including:
- Landlord and tenant disputes
- Property disputes
- Contested Wills and inheritance disputes
- Professional negligence claims
- Alternative Dispute Resolution, including mediation
Business legal advice
When starting a new business, buying a business or selling up, it is essential to have the right legal expertise to ensure you do everything the right way. This helps you to achieve your commercial goals while keeping you legally protected.
Our commercial solicitors in St Saviourgate can assist with matters including:
- Business structures
- Essential documents and agreements (including articles of association, shareholder agreements, partnership agreements, and employment contracts)
- Company administration
- Issue of shares
- Due diligence
- Contract negotiation
Businesses need to navigate a complex corporate and regulatory environment to succeed while staying legally compliant. Our legal experts can provide clear, practical guidance on everything you need to do.
We can assist with matters including:
- Corporate structures and governance
- Regulatory and statutory compliance
- Data protection compliance
- Brands, trademarks, and other intellectual property related issues
Employers have a legal duty to treat their employers fairly and to comply with all relevant employment legislation. Our team can support you with both straightforward and more complex employment law matters.
Our employment lawyers in St Saviourgate can assist with matters including:
- Reorganisation and redundancy
- Employment contract review and dispute resolution
- Executive service agreements
- Unfair or wrongful dismissal claims
- Disciplinary and grievance procedures
- Settlement agreements
- Employment tribunals
- Actions to prevent unfair competition
- ACAS (Advisory Conciliation and Arbitration Service) support
It is essential to deal with commercial disputes in a way that matches your overall business priorities. Our team can help you find positive outcomes for even the most complicated and contentious business disputes, protecting your commercial interests at all times.
Our commercial litigation solicitors in St Saviourgate can assist with matters including:
- Commercial property & land disputes
- Supply & trading disputes
- Business deal disputes
- Company shareholder & partnership disputes
- Construction & engineering disputes
- Technology, intellectual property & reputation disputes
- Professional negligence
- Regulatory investigations and enforcement
- Alternative Dispute Resolution, including mediation
Our commercial property solicitors work with a wide range of clients, including commercial landlords, business tenants, investors, house builders and property developers.
Our commercial property solicitors in St Saviourgate can assist with matters including:
- Covenants and title matters
- Planning issues and disputes
- Stamp Duty Land Tax and corporate tax implications
- Leasehold transactions, assignments and terminations
- Rent reviews, service charges, and repairing obligations
- Commercial leases
Getting the right contracts and agreements in place is essential for the success of any business, giving you security and allowing you to establish effective relationships with clients, customers, suppliers and other key commercial partners.
Our commercial contract solicitors in St Saviourgate can assist with matters including:
- Terms and conditions
- Shareholder and partnership agreements
- Distribution, franchise and agency agreements
- Loan agreements and personal guarantees
Farming legal services
Agricultural land and property can be highly valuable, with many complex issues to consider. We can assist with the acquisition and disposal of agricultural land, as well as agricultural land development and agricultural buildings, ensuring your best interests stay protected.
Our agricultural property solicitors in St Saviourgate can assist with matters including:
- Sales and purchases
- Option and overage agreement
- Access, drainage and services
- Private land purchases or sales on existing personal or family legal arrangements
- Leases & farm business tenancies
Planning for the future of your business and estate is vital, allowing you to make sure your loved ones are taken care of and the future of your family business is assured.
Our Wills, probate & estate planning solicitors in St Saviourgate can assist with matters including:
- Tax planning
- Setting up Wills, trusts, and other legal mechanisms to preserve your land and business and minimise the risk of future disputes
- Probate and estate administration services
- Succession planning
We assist a wide range of agricultural businesses with the full range of partnership and company law matters.
Our team can assist with matters including:
- Advice on partnerships and limited companies
- Changing existing company structures
- Advice on directors’, partners’, and trustees’ responsibilities
- Advice on agreements, contracts, and intellectual property rights
We regularly advise a wide range of businesses and professionals connected to the world of horse racing, including breeders, owners, jockeys, trainers, equine vets and riding clubs.
Our equine law solicitors in St Saviourgate can assist with matters including:
- The purchase and sale of horses
- Dealing with the British Horse Racing Authority
- Owners’ and Trainers’ Agreements
- Employment issues
- Dealings with the Professional Jockeys Association
Our solicitors are members of the Equine & Animal Lawyers Association.
Disputes can take up a lot of time, money and energy that could be better spent elsewhere, as well as having the potential to cause long term damage to important personal and business relationships. Getting the right legal advice can help you get a fair outcome, while resolving disputes much faster and more cost-effectively.
Our farming disputes solicitors in St Saviourgate can assist with matters including:
Speak to our St Saviourgate solicitors
Get in touch with our team of expert solicitors in St Saviourgate, York today by using the buttons below.